Monday, April 16, 2012

A quick lampshade slipcover

I have been doing a little springtime decorating in my home's entryway
using the many birdhouses that I have gathered over the years.



I was not happy with the color of this lampshade...


...then remembered this little bird print fabric in my stash.


I thought I would make a little slipcover for the shade
so I could go back to the original shade when desired.



First I traced around the shade on newspaper.
Because my fabric was directional and I wanted all the
birds to be right side up (not upside down as it went around the pattern)...


...I cut the traced pattern into four quarter panels, adding 1/4 inch
on the sides (for seams) and enough on the top and bottom
of the shade for turning under.  I pinned the pattern on the fabric
so that each panel had the birds sitting upright on the branches.
I then stitched the sides together, forming a circle.

I stitched 1/4 inch from the top and bottom. I find it much easier to
turn and press a hem with this guide, and it seems to help
ease in the fullness of the wider edge.


Press around the top and bottom,
turn again and stitch hem.


Here is the finished slip!


You can change the look of your lampshade to go with
any decor and be able to go back to the original at anytime!
You could embellish your slipcover with trims, ribbons, or beads,
but this fabric has such a busy print I left it as is.
Please come see how I decorated my entryway

Joining Kathy for
Home and Garden Thursday!

6 comments:

shelia said...

AAAAAAdorable! The perfect fabric for that lamp.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

That is so clever and the new shade is beautiful!

Kathy said...

So beautiful! I have a shade very similar to yours, though it goes well with what I have now, I'd love to create a slipcover to change its look from time to time! Love the fabric - perfect for a birdhouse lamp! I will be featuring this post tonight in my Home and Garden party! Thank you for sharing!
God Bless,
Kathy

American Home said...

So very cute fabric and such a great idea for your lamp shade!!

Blessings,
Donna

The Farmers Daughter said...

The shade is now perfect for the birdhouse! Love the fabric. . . Love your other blogs, too. Where do you find the time?!!!! One keeps me busy. . .

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Now that is a cute idea! I love little birds and this is the cutest! They look great. Thanks for sharing.
Blessings,
Susie